- •Diets high in β-carotene and α-carotene associate with reduced type 2 diabetes risk.
- •Diets high in β-cryptoxanthin, lycopene, lutein and zeaxanthin do not associate with type 2 diabetes risk.
- •The associations of dietary carotenoids and type 2 diabetes risk are not modified by smoking status.
Background and aims
Methods and results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases
- Functional properties of carotenoids in human health.Int J Food Prop. 2007 Apr 27; 10: 201-230
- Carotenoids and human health.Pharmacol Res. 2007 Mar; 55: 207-216
- Is oxidative stress the pathogenic mechanism underlying insulin resistance, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease? the common soil hypothesis revisited.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004 May; 24: 816-823
- Oxidative stress and the use of antioxidants in diabetes: linking basic science to clinical practice.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2005; 4: 5
- The role of diet and lifestyle in primary, secondary, and tertiary diabetes prevention: a review of meta-analyses.Rev Diabet Stud. 2010; 7: 26-35
- Serum and dietary beta-carotene and alpha-tocopherol and incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in a community-based study of Swedish men: report from the Uppsala Longitudinal Study of Adult Men (ULSAM) study.Diabetologia. 2009 Jan; 52: 97-105
- Dietary antioxidant intake and risk of type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2004 Feb; 27: 362-366
- Intake of antioxidants and risk of type 2 diabetes in a cohort of male smokers.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2011 May; 65: 590-597
- Associations of serum carotenoid concentrations with the development of diabetes and with insulin concentration: interaction with smoking: the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2006 May 15; 163: 929-937
- Serum antioxidants and risk of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.Eur J Clin Nutr. 1998 Feb; 52: 89-93
- Plasma lycopene, other carotenoids, and the risk of type 2 diabetes in women.Am J Epidemiol. 2006 Sep 15; 164: 576-585
- Effects of vitamins C and E and beta-carotene on the risk of type 2 diabetes in women at high risk of cardiovascular disease: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Aug; 90: 429-437
- Long-term beta-carotene supplementation and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized controlled trial.J Am Med Assoc. 1999 Sep 15; 282: 1073-1075
- Effect of alpha-tocopherol and beta-carotene supplementation on the incidence of type 2 diabetes.Diabetologia. 2008 Jan; 51: 47-53
- The consumption of lycopene and tomato-based food products is not associated with the risk of type 2 diabetes in women.J Nutr. 2006 Mar; 136: 620-625
- Oxidative stress in smokers and non-smokers.Inhal Toxicol. 2007 Jul; 19: 767-769
- Cohort profile: the EPIC-NL study.Int J Epidemiol. 2010 Oct; 39: 1170-1178
- Prospect-EPIC Utrecht: study design and characteristics of the cohort population. European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition.Eur J Epidemiol. 2001; 17: 1047-1053
- Cohort profile: the doetinchem cohort study.Int J Epidemiol. 2008 Dec; 37: 1236-1241
- Dutch food composition table. NEVO Foundation, The Hague2006
- The Dutch EPIC food frequency questionnaire. I. Description of the questionnaire, and relative validity and reproducibility for food groups.Int J Epidemiol. 1997; 26: S37-S48
- Critical evaluation of energy intake data using fundamental principles of energy physiology: 1. Derivation of cut-off limits to identify under-recording.Eur J Clin Nutr. 1991 Dec; 45: 569-581
- Ascertainment and verification of diabetes in the EPIC-NL study.Neth J Med. 2010 Aug; 68: 333-339
- Validity and repeatability of a simple index derived from the short physical activity questionnaire used in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study.Public Health Nutr. 2003 Jun; 6: 407-413
- Onset of NIDDM occurs at least 4–7 yr before clinical diagnosis.Diabetes Care. 1992 Jul; 15: 815-819
- European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition: validity studies on dietary assessment methods.Int J Epidemiol. 1997; 26: S1-S5
- Biologic and methodologic issues for nutritional biomarkers.J Nutr. 2003 Mar; 133: 875S-880S
- The effect of vitamin E and beta carotene on the incidence of lung cancer and other cancers in male smokers. The alpha-tocopherol, beta carotene cancer prevention study group.N Engl J Med. 1994 Apr 14; 330: 1029-1035
- Use of antioxidant vitamins for the prevention of cardiovascular disease: meta-analysis of randomised trials.Lancet. 2003 Jun 14; 361: 2017-2023
- Bioavailability of a natural isomer mixture compared with synthetic all-trans beta-carotene in human serum.Am J Clin Nutr. 1996 May; 63: 729-734