- •CQI sums fiber, GI, whole-grain: total carbohydrates and solid: total carbohydrates.
- •There is not specific and disambiguous measure of carbohydrate quality.
- •Better CQI showed a significant inverse association with CVD incidence.
- •More than 50% of energy from carbohydrates and highest CQI showed a lower risk of CVD.
- •“Heart-healthy” diet should be focused on type and quality of carbohydrates.
Background and aims
Methods and results
Abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), CI (confidence interval), CQI (carbohydrate quality index), CVD (cardiovascular disease), FFQ (food frequency questionnaire), HR (hazard ratio), MET (metabolic equivalent score), MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acids), PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acids), Q_O (baseline assessment), SD (standard deviation), SFA (saturated fatty acids), SUN (Seguimiento Universidad de Navarra. Follow-up University of Navarra), TFA (trans fatty acids)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases
- Diets to prevent coronary heart disease 1957-2013: what have we learned?.Am J Med. 2014; 127: 364-369
- A systematic review of brief dietary questionnaires suitable for clinical use in the prevention and management of obesity, cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2015; 69: 977-1003
- How important is the relative balance of fat and carbohydrate as sources of energy in relation to health?.Proc Nutr Soc. 2015; : 1-7
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2015 – 2020 Dietary guidelines for Americans. 8th ed. December 2015. Available at: http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/.
World Health Organization. Sugars intake for adults and children Guideline. 2015. Available at: http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/guidelines/sugars_intake/en/.
- 2013 AHA/ACC guideline on lifestyle management to reduce cardiovascular risk: a report of the American college of cardiology/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines.Circulation. 2014; 129: S76-S99
- Dietary fiber and the glycemic index: a background paper for the Nordic nutrition recommendations.Food Nutr Res. 2013 Mar 25; 57https://doi.org/10.3402/fnr.v57i0.20709
- Glycemic index, glycemic load and glycemic response: an International scientific consensus summit from the International carbohydrate quality consortium (ICQC).Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2015; 25: 795-815
- Sugar sweetened beverages consumption and risk of coronary heart disease: a meta-analysis of prospective studies.Atherosclerosis. 2014; 234: 11-16
- Dietary sugars intake and cardiovascular health: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2009; 120: 1011-1020
- Consumption of cereal fiber, mixtures of whole grains and bran, and whole grains and risk reduction in type 2 diabetes, obesity, and cardiovascular disease.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98: 594-619
- Dietary fibre intake and risk of cardiovascular disease: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2013; 347 (f6879)
- Meta-analysis of the association between whole grain intake and coronary heart disease risk.Am J Cardiol. 2015; 115: 625-629
- Dietary fibre for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 1 (CD011472)
- Sugar-sweetened beverages and risk of hypertension and CVD: a dose-response meta-analysis.Br J Nutr. 2015; : 1-9
- Validation of self-reported weight and body mass index in a cohort of university graduates in Spain.Rev Esp Obes. 2003; 3: 352-358
- Cohort profile: the ‘Seguimiento Universidad de Navarra’ (SUN) study.Int J Epidemiol. 2006; 35: 1417-1422
- Development and validation of a food frequency questionnaire in Spain.Int J Epidemiol. 1993; 22: 512-519
- Reproducibility of an FFQ validated in Spain.Public Health Nutr. 2010; 13: 1364-1372
- Food composition tables.9th ed. Piramide, Madrid2005
- Spanish food composition tables.4th ed. Granada University, 2003
- Association between dietary carbohydrate intake quality and micronutrient intake adequacy in a Mediterranean cohort: the SUN (Seguimiento Universidad de Navarra) Project.Br J Nutr. 2014; : 1-10
- Carbohydrate quality, weight change and incident obesity in a Mediterranean cohort: the SUN Project.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2015; 69: 297-302
- Nutritional adequacy according to carbohydrates and fat quality.Eur J Nutr. 2016; 55: 93-106
- New insights into the role of nutrition in CVD prevention.Curr Cardiol Rep. 2015; 17: 26
- New hypotheses for the health-protective mechanisms of whole-grain cereals: what is beyond fibre?.Nutr Res Rev. 2010; 23: 65-134
- Whole-grain and blood lipid changes in apparently healthy adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled studies.Am J Clin Nutr. 2015; 102: 556-572
- Dietary and policy priorities for cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity: a comprehensive review.Circulation. 2016; 12: 187-225
- The low-carbohydrate diet and cardiovascular risk factors: evidence from epidemiologic studies.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2014; 24: 337-343
- Effects of low-carbohydrate diets v. low-fat diets on body weight and cardiovascular risk factors: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.Br J Nutr. 2016; 115: 466-479