- •Gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) was a stronger correlate of all-cause mortality than alkaline phosphatase (ALP).
- •GGT was a better discriminator of the risk for all-cause mortality than ALP.
- •Neither GGT nor ALP improved the risk prediction for cardiac mortality.
- •GGT and ALP may reflect different aspects of increased cardiovascular risk.
Background and aims
Methods and results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases
- Circulating markers of liver function and cardiovascular disease risk.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2015; 35: 2290-2296
- Liver enzymes and risk of cardiovascular disease in the general population: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies.Atherosclerosis. 2014; 236: 7-17
- The inverse relationship between alanine aminotransferase in the normal range and adverse cardiovascular and non-cardiovascular outcomes.Int J Epidemiol. 2011; 40: 1530-1538
- Alanine transaminase has opposite associations with death from diabetes and ischemic heart disease in NHANES III.Ann Epidemiol. 2012; 22: 789-798
- Opposite associations between alanine aminotransferase and gamma-glutamyl transferase levels and all-cause mortality in type 2 diabetes: analysis of the Fenofibrate Intervention and Event Lowering in Diabetes (FIELD) study.Metabolism. 2016; 65: 783-793
- Liver enzymes and risk of all-cause mortality in general populations: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Epidemiol. 2014; 43: 187-201
- Gamma-glutamyl transferase and prognosis in patients with coronary artery disease.Clin Chim Acta. 2016; 452: 155-160
- Alkaline phosphatase and prognosis in patients with coronary artery disease.Eur J Clin Investig. 2017; 47: 378-387
- IFCC primary reference procedures for the measurement of catalytic activity concentrations of enzymes at 37 degrees C. International Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine. Part 7. Certification of four reference materials for the determination of enzymatic activity of gamma-glutamyltransferase, lactate dehydrogenase, alanine aminotransferase and creatine kinase accord.Clin Chem Lab Med. 2002; 40: 739-745
- IFCC primary reference procedures for the measurement of catalytic activity concentrations of enzymes at 37 degrees C. Part 9: reference procedure for the measurement of catalytic concentration of alkaline phosphatase International Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (IFCC) Scientific Division, Committee on Reference Systems of Enzymes (C-RSE) (1)).Clin Chem Lab Med. 2011; 49: 1439-1446
- Clinical end points in coronary stent trials: a case for standardized definitions.Circulation. 2007; 115: 2344-2351
- Gamma-glutamyltransferase: a predictive biomarker of cellular antioxidant inadequacy and disease risk.Dis Markers. 2015; 2015: 818570
- Role for alkaline phosphatase as an inducer of vascular calcification in renal failure?.Kidney Int. 2008; 73: 989-991
- Gamma-glutamyltransferase as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease mortality: an epidemiological investigation in a cohort of 163,944 Austrian adults.Circulation. 2005; 112: 2130-2137
- Association between serum alkaline phosphatase and C-reactive protein in the United States National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005–2006.Clin Chem Lab Med. 2010; 48: 167-173
- Association between serum gamma-glutamyltransferase and C-reactive protein.Atherosclerosis. 2005; 178: 327-330
- Associations of serum skeletal alkaline phosphatase with elevated C-reactive protein and mortality.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013; 8: 26-32
- Gamma glutamyltransferase and metabolic syndrome risk: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis.Int J Clin Pract. 2015; 69: 136-144
- The relationship between glucose metabolism, metabolic syndrome, and bone-specific alkaline phosphatase: a structural equation modeling approach.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 98: 3856-3863
- Serum gamma glutamyl transferase and alanine transaminase concentrations predict endothelial dysfunction in patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.Ups J Med Sci. 2013; 118: 228-234
- Serum alkaline phosphatase negatively affects endothelium-dependent vasodilation in naive hypertensive patients.Hypertension. 2015; 66: 874-880
- Trends in cause of death after percutaneous coronary intervention.Circulation. 2014; 129: 1286-1294
- Relation between alkaline phosphatase, serum phosphate, and all-cause or cardiovascular mortality.Circulation. 2009; 120: 1784-1792
- Cause of death analysis in the NHLBI PTCA Registry: results and considerations for evaluating long-term survival after coronary interventions.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1997; 30: 881-887
- Performance of reclassification statistics in comparing risk prediction models.Biom J. 2011; 53: 237-258