- •SGLT2-inhibitors are associated with acute renal failure in the FDA adverse event reporting system.
- •Reports of acute renal failure with SGLT2-inhibitors were more likely to report concomitant diuretics and/or ACE-inhibitors.
- •Plausible biological mechanisms have been proposed for these findings.
- •The link between SGLT2-inhibitors and acute renal failure persisted when controlling for diabetes and the FDA warning.
- •SGLT2-inhibitors differed from one another in the strength of their link to acute renal failure.
Background and aims
Methods and results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases
- Efficacy and safety of sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 inhibitors in type 2 diabetes mellitus: systematic review and network meta-analysis.Diabetes, Obes Metab. 2016; 18: 783-794
- Empagliflozin, cardiovascular outcomes, and mortality in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2117-2128
- Empagliflozin and progression of kidney disease in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 323-334
- Canagliflozin and cardiovascular and renal events in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 644-657
- Potential hypoxic renal injury in patients with diabetes on SGLT2 inhibitors: caution regarding concomitant use of NSAIDs and iodinated contrast media.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: e40-e41
- Acute SGLT inhibition normalizes O 2 tension in the renal cortex but causes hypoxia in the renal medulla in anaesthetized control and diabetic rats.Am J Physiol - Ren Physiol. 2015; 309: F227-F234
- Sodium–Glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitors for type 2 diabetes.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 159: 262
- Benefits and harms of sodium-glucose Co-Transporter 2 inhibitors in patients with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0166125
- Sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitors and risk of adverse renal outcomes among type 2 diabetes patients: a network and cumulative meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2017;
- Use of proportional reporting ratios (PRRs) for signal generation from spontaneous adverse drug reaction reports.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2001; 10: 483-486
- Performance of pharmacovigilance signal-detection algorithms for the FDA adverse event reporting system.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2013; 93: 539-546
- Liver injury with novel oral anticoagulants: assessing post-marketing reports in the US Food and Drug Administration adverse event reporting system.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2015;
- Data mining of the public version of the FDA adverse event reporting system.Int J Med Sci. 2013; 10: 796-803
- The reporting odds ratio and its advantages over the proportional reporting ratio.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2004; 13: 519-523
- Epidemiology of adverse reactions to nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs.Adv Inflamm Res. 1984; 61
- Replication of the Weber effect using postmarketing adverse event reports voluntarily submitted to the United States Food and Drug Administration.Pharmacotherapy. 2004; 24: 743-749
- Data mining techniques in pharmacovigilance: analysis of the publicly accessible FDA adverse event reporting system (AERS).in: Karahoca A. Data Min Appl Eng Med, InTech. 2012: 265-302
- Stimulated reporting: the impact of US food and drug administration-issued alerts on the adverse event reporting system (FAERS).Drug Saf. 2014; 37: 971-980
- The weber effect and the United States food and drug Administration's adverse event reporting system (FAERS): analysis of sixty-two drugs approved from 2006 to 2010.Drug Saf. 2014; 37: 283-294
- Dapagliflozin a glucose-regulating drug with diuretic properties in subjects with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Obes Metab. 2013; 15: 853-862
- Increased hematocrit during sodium-glucose Cotransporter-2 inhibitor therapy.J Clin Med Res. 2017; 9: 176-177
- Empagliflozin, cardiovascular outcomes, and mortality in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2117-2128https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1504720 2015
- Postmarket safety events among novel therapeutics approved by the US food and drug administration between 2001 and 2010.JAMA. 1854; 2017: 317
- Canagliflozin and cardiovascular and renal events in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 644-657https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1611925 n.d
- Diuretics potentiate angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor-induced acute renal failure.Clin Nephrol. 1994; 42: 170-174
- Renal outcomes with different fixed-dose combination therapies in patients with hypertension at high risk for cardiovascular events (ACCOMPLISH): a prespecified secondary analysis of a randomised controlled trial.Lancet (London, Engl. 2010; 375: 1173-1181
- Predictors of decreased renal function in patients with heart failure during angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor therapy: results from the studies of left ventricular dysfunction (SOLVD).Am Heart J. 1999; 138: 849-855
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profile of empagliflozin, a sodium glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitor.Clin Pharmacokinet. 2014; 53: 213-225
- Empagliflozin decreases myocardial cytoplasmic Na(+) through inhibition of the cardiac Na(+)/H(+) exchanger in rats and rabbits.Diabetologia. 2017; 60: 568-573