- •Distribution of energy intake (EI) during a day was associated with cholesterol levels.
- •Every 100 kcal additional EI at night was associated 1.08 mg/dL higher of LDL-cholesterol.
- •Replacing the EI at night by EI during the day was associated with lower total cholesterol.
- •Replacing the EI at night by EI during the day was associated with lower LDL-cholesterol.
Background and aims
Methods and results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases
- Meal timing and frequency: implications for cardiovascular disease prevention: a scientific statement from the American heart association.Circulation. 2017; 135: e96-e121
- Relationship between frequency of eating and cardiovascular disease mortality in U.S. adults: the NHANES III follow-up study.Ann Epidemiol. 2016; 26: 527-533
- Meal irregularity and cardiometabolic consequences: results from observational and intervention studies.Proc Nutr Soc. 2016; 75: 475-486
- Chrono-nutrition: a review of current evidence from observational studies on global trends in time-of-day of energy intake and its association with obesity.Proc Nutr Soc. 2016; 75: 487-500
- Nighttime snacking reduces whole body fat oxidation and increases LDL cholesterol in healthy young women.Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2013; 304: R94-R101
- Association between eating time interval and frequency with ideal cardiovascular health: results from a random sample Czech urban population.Nutr Metabol Cardiovasc Dis. 2018;
- Time-of-day and nutrient composition of eating occasions: prospective association with the metabolic syndrome in the 1946 British birth cohort.Int J Obes (Lond). 2013; 37: 725-731
- Effect of potentially modifiable risk factors associated with myocardial infarction in 52 countries (the INTERHEART study): case-control study.Lancet. 2004; 364: 937-952
- Effects of feeding schedule changes on the circadian phase of the cardiac autonomic nervous system and serum lipid levels.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2013; 113: 2603-2611
- Relation between circadian patterns in levels of circulating lipoprotein(a), fibrinogen, platelets, and related lipid variables in men.Am Heart J. 2000; 139: 164-173
- Circadian rhythmic variations in serum concentrations of clinically important lipids.Clin Chem. 1994; 40: 1549-1553
- Diurnal variation of hormonal and lipid biomarkers in a molecular epidemiology-like setting.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0135652
- Circadian regulation of lipid metabolism.Proc Nutr Soc. 2016; 75: 440-450
- Circadian variation of postprandial lipemia.Am J Clin Nutr. 1997; 65: 934-940
- Design and sample characteristics of the 2005–2008 nutrition and health survey in Taiwan.Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2011; 20: 225-237
- An easy approach to calculating estimated energy requirements.Prev Chronic Dis. 2006; 3: A129
- Diet and health trends in Taiwan: comparison of two nutrition and health surveys from 1993–1996 and 2005–2008.Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2011; 20: 238-250
- Trends in nutrient and dietary intake among adults and the elderly: from NAHSIT 1993–1996 to 2005–2008.Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2011; 20: 251-265
- Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge.Clin Chem. 1972; 18: 499-502
- Employment status and temporal patterns of energy intake: nutrition and Health Survey in Taiwan, 2005–2008.Publ Health Nutr. 2017; 20: 3295-3303
- Assessment of physical activity in nutritional epidemiology.in: Willett W. Nutritional epidemiology. 3rd ed. Oxford University Press, New York, USA2012
- Timing of food intake predicts weight loss effectiveness.Int J Obes (Lond). 2013; 37: 604-611
- Timing of food intake is associated with weight loss evolution in severe obese patients after bariatric surgery.Clin Nutr. 2016; 35: 1308-1314
- Mechanisms by which dietary fatty acids modulate plasma lipids.J Nutr. 2005; 135: 2075-2078
- Mechanisms by which saturated triacylglycerols elevate the plasma low density lipoprotein-cholesterol concentration in hamsters. Differential effects of fatty acid chain length.J Clin Invest. 1989; 84: 119-128
- Circadian regulators of intestinal lipid absorption.J Lipid Res. 2015; 56: 761-770
- Bile acid synthesis in humans has a rapid diurnal variation that is asynchronous with cholesterol synthesis.Gastroenterology. 2005; 129: 1445-1453
- Evidence for diurnal periodicity in human cholesterol synthesis.J Lipid Res. 1990; 31: 667-673
- Diurnal variation in lipoprotein lipase activity.Ann Clin Biochem. 2002; 39: 136-139
- Circulating proprotein convertase subtilisin kexin type 9 has a diurnal rhythm synchronous with cholesterol synthesis and is reduced by fasting in humans.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010; 30: 2666-2672
- Understanding PCSK9 and anti-PCSK9 therapies.J Clin Lipidol. 2015; 9: 170-186
- Diurnal variations of plasma lipids, tissue and plasma lipoprotein lipase, and VLDL secretion rates in the rat. A model for studies of VLDL metabolism.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1987; 920: 277-284
- Diurnal regulation of microsomal triglyceride transfer protein and plasma lipid levels.J Biol Chem. 2007; 282: 24707-24719
- Circadian rhythm in hepatic low-density-lipoprotein (LDL)-receptor expression and plasma LDL levels.Biochem J. 1994; 298: 39-43