- •This is the first study to assess effects of popular diets on gut metabolites.
- •A high fat (Atkins) diet was associated with high levels of atherogenic metabolites.
- •A low fat (Ornish) diet was associated with low levels of atherogenic metabolites.
Abbreviations:ANOVA (analysis of variance), BCAA (branch chained amino acids), CVD (cardiovascular disease), TMAO (trimethylamine N-oxide)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases
- Intestinal microbiota metabolism of l-carnitine, a nutrient in red meat, promotes atherosclerosis.Nat Med. 2013; 19: 576-585
- Intestinal microbial metabolism of phosphatidylcholine and cardiovascular risk.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1575-1584
- Gut flora metabolism of phosphatidylcholine promotes cardiovascular disease.Nature. 2011; 472: 57-63
- Gut microbe-generated metabolite trimethylamine-N-oxide as cardiovascular risk biomarker: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 2948-2956
- Comparative effects of three popular diets on lipids, endothelial function, and C-reactive protein during weight maintenance.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 713-717
- Relationships between gut microbiota, plasma metabolites, and metabolic syndrome traits in the METSIM cohort.Genome Biol. 2017; 18: 70
- High-level adherence to a Mediterranean diet beneficially impacts the gut microbiota and associated metabolome.Gut. 2016; 65: 1812-1821
- Adherence to the Mediterranean diet is associated with the gut microbiota pattern and gastrointestinal characteristics in an adult population.Br J Nutr. 2017; 117: 1645-1655
- Gut microbial metabolite TMAO enhances platelet hyperreactivity and thrombosis risk.Cell. 2016; 165https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2016.02.011
- Gut microbe-generated trimethylamine <em>N</em>-Oxide from dietary choline is prothrombotic in subjects.Circulation. 2017; 135: 1671
- Targeting of microbe-derived metabolites to improve human health: the next frontier for drug discovery.J Biol Chem. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.R116.765388
- Metabolic products of the intestinal microbiome and extremes of atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 2018; 273: 91-97
- Prognostic value of choline and betaine depends on intestinal microbiota-generated metabolite trimethylamine-N-oxide.Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 904-910
- Metabolite profiles and the risk of developing diabetes.Nat Med. 2011; 17: 448-453
- Insulin resistance is associated with a metabolic profile of altered protein metabolism in Chinese and Asian-Indian men.Diabetologia. 2010; 53: 757-767
- Trimethylamine N-oxide: a link among diet, gut microbiota, gene regulation of liver and intestine cholesterol homeostasis and HDL function.Int J Mol Sci. 2018; 19