- •Low grade chronic inflammation plays an important role in metabolic syndrome (i.e. metaflammation).
- •Neutrophils are pivotal cells for the onset and propagation of metaflammation.
- •Neutrophil biomarkers MMP8, MMP-9 and MPO correlate with metabolic syndrome severity.
- •Anti-inflammatory neutrophil mediators such as TIMPs do not correlate with disease severity.
- •Lower levels of MMP8 at baseline independently predict an improvement of metabolic syndrome.
Background and aims
Methods and Results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases
- Metabolic syndrome and risk of incident cardiovascular events and death: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007; 49: 403-414
- Inflammaging: a new immune-metabolic viewpoint for age-related diseases.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2018; 14: 576-590
- Gender differences of arterial stiffness and arterial age in smokers.Int J Environ Res Publ Health. 2017; 14
- Inflammation and cardiovascular diseases: lessons from seminal clinical trials.Cardiovasc Res. 2021; 117: 411-422
- Novel findings in neutrophil biology and their impact on cardiovascular disease.Cardiovasc Res. 2019; 115: 1266-1285
- Neutrophils mediate insulin resistance in mice fed a high-fat diet through secreted elastase.Nat Med. 2012; 18: 1407-1412
- Serum osteopontin predicts glycaemic profile improvement in metabolic syndrome: a pilot study.Eur J Clin Invest. 2021; 51e13403
- The national cholesterol education Program Adult treatment Panel III guidelines.J Manag Care Pharm. 2003; 9: 2-5
- Baseline hs-CRP predicts hypertension remission in metabolic syndrome.Eur J Clin Invest. 2019; 49e13128
- Changes in metabolic syndrome and its components and the risk of type 2 diabetes: a nationwide cohort study.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 2313
- Calculating the sample size required for developing a clinical prediction model.BMJ. 2020; 368: m441
- Inflamm-ageing: the role of inflammation in age-dependent cardiovascular disease.Eur Heart J. 2020; 41: 2974-2982
- The role of metabolic syndrome in sudden cardiac death risk: recent evidence and future directions.Eur J Clin Invest. 2022; 52e13693
- Leukocyte activation by triglyceride-rich lipoproteins.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008; 28: 792-797
- Activation of leukocytes by postprandial lipemia in healthy volunteers.Atherosclerosis. 2004; 177: 175-182
- Obesity and the white blood cell count: changes with sustained weight loss.Obes Surg. 2006; 16: 251-257
- Association between the human immune response and body mass index.Hum Immunol. 2012; 73: 480-485
- Early reduction of matrix metalloproteinase-8 serum levels is associated with leptin drop and predicts diabetes remission after bariatric surgery.Int J Cardiol. 2017; 245: 257-262
- Postprandial leukocyte increase in healthy subjects.Metabolism. 2003; 52: 199-202
- Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio as a predictive marker of metabolic syndrome.Medicine (Baltim). 2019; 98e17537
- Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio and platelet-to-lymphocyte ratio predict mortality in patients with diabetic foot ulcers undergoing amputations.Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2021; 14: 821-829
- The long-term predictive value of the neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio in Type 2 diabetic patients presenting with acute myocardial infarction.QJM. 2012; 105: 1075-1082
- Baseline neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio is associated with long-term T2D remission after metabolic surgery.Acta Diabetol. 2019; 56: 741-748
- CD11c/CD18 expression is upregulated on blood monocytes during hypertriglyceridemia and enhances adhesion to vascular cell adhesion molecule-1.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011; 31: 160-166
- Triglyceride-rich lipoprotein modulates endothelial vascular cell adhesion molecule (VCAM)-1 expression via differential regulation of endoplasmic reticulum stress.PLoS One. 2013; 8e78322
- Novel cardiovascular risk biomarkers in metabolic syndrome.Biomarkers Med. 2019; 13: 1331-1334
- Metabolic insight of neutrophils in Health and disease.Front Immunol. 2019; 10: 2099
- Effect of weight loss on neutrophil resolvins in the metabolic syndrome.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2019; 148: 25-29
- Increased neutrophil count in nascent metabolic syndrome.Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2013; 11: 128-131
- Inflammation associated with the postprandial lipolysis of triglyceride-rich lipoproteins by lipoprotein lipase.Curr Atherosclerosis Rep. 2009; 11: 199-205
- From chronic overnutrition to metaflammation and insulin resistance: adipose tissue and liver contributions.FEBS Lett. 2017; 591: 3061-3088
- Heme oxygenase-1 drives metaflammation and insulin resistance in mouse and man.Cell. 2014; 158: 25-40
- Insulin resistance: metabolic mechanisms and consequences in the heart.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012; 32: 2068-2076
- A vicious circle between insulin resistance and inflammation in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Lipids Health Dis. 2017; 16: 203
- Matrix metalloproteinases in metabolic syndrome.Eur J Intern Med. 2012; 23: 99-104
- Association of MMP-8 with obesity, smoking and insulin resistance.Eur J Clin Invest. 2016; 46: 757-765